Moonlight Adventure

The story of our travels on board Moonlight, our Vancouver 36.


Tuesday 28th July 2009

Posted by yachtmoonlight on July 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM Comments comments (4)

John first sold the idea of this sailing malarkey to me with talk of perpetual summer, long hot days with swims in refreshing seas and sundowners in the cockpit while watching beautiful sunsets. We would leave in the middle of the summer and would be in the tropics before we felt the nip of autumn.

I suspected from the start he was talking utter bobbins, which is why as he stuffed the nets on his side of the forepeak with shorts and swimming trunks, I stuffed mine full of woolly ju...

Read Full Post »

Wednesday 22nd July 2009

Posted by yachtmoonlight on July 23, 2009 at 6:34 AM Comments comments (3)

We are still stuck in Falmouth with no idea when we might be able to move on as the weather forecasts are still showing SW winds until next week.

More boats are arriving and the anchorage is becoming very busy and most are, like us, waiting for a weather window to sail on to France or Spain.

Saturday was warm and drizzly but as there wasn't much wind, we decided to take the old sail ashore (there needs to be very little wind or the dinghy may end up being blown back to P...

Read Full Post »

Friday 17th July 2009

Posted by yachtmoonlight on July 18, 2009 at 12:49 PM Comments comments (5)

We’re still in Falmouth waiting for favourable weather conditions to allow us to continue and judging by the latest forecast we’re expecting to be here another week before the wind changes. Currently Thursday is looking like it may be possibility, but we won’t know for sure until nearer the time. So, this means I won’t be Spain for my birthday and will have to wait for the straw donkey I was hoping for. I’ll give you a brief rundown of the last few days, but life...

Read Full Post »

Sunday 12th July 2009

Posted by yachtmoonlight on July 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM Comments comments (5)

The weather forecast hasn't been good since we arrived in Falmouth, along with daily downpours of rain, the current South-Westerly winds are predicted to stay for at least a week, so we will be staying put and waiting for a suitable weather window to allow us to cross the Bay of Biscay. Unfortunately, that does mean the blog may be a little dull and shorter than usual, so apologies in advance!

In between the rain showers on Thursday, we went into the town to explore and hunt down a...

Read Full Post »

Wednesday 8th July 2009

Posted by yachtmoonlight on July 9, 2009 at 10:32 AM Comments comments (2)

We spent Sunday morning relaxing on the boat and I made another exciting salad for lunch. There were heavy, squally showers all day and the forecast was for more of the same so in the afternoon we moved down to Queen Anne's Battery Marina in Plymouth so we could explore the town. The marina doesn't have much space for visitors, so we had to raft alongside another boat, in pouring rain and strong winds. It was very traumatic and led to a lot of confusion (on my part) and a lot of shouting (on ...

Read Full Post »